Monday, January 18, 2010

Sweet Potato Pound Cake


I love sweet potatoes. I love them baked the best, either plain or with a little bit of butter. Good sweet potatoes don't need much help in the sweetness department. (Unless you're talking sweet potato pie. My mama makes the best sweet potato pie in the universe. She leaves out all of those spices that make it a pumpkin pie "wannabe." But I digress.) This cake...sugar,spices and all... has me smitten. The orange juice glaze perfectly complements the spicy goodness of the sweet potatoes, and just makes me want another slice. Evil cake. Someone gave my mama the recipe and she shared it with me. It has sweet potatoes in it doesn't it? It just has to be good for you.

Guess who took this picture? It's from a 4 year old's eye view!

Sweet Potato Pound Cake
(printable recipe)

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 1/2 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
4 eggs from happy hens
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 tsp. lemon extract
  • Cream butter and sugar.
  • Add potatoes and beat until light and fluffy.
  • Add eggs, one at a time: beat well after adding each egg.
  • Add dry ingredients, then vanilla and lemon.
  • Beat well and pour into greased and floured tube pan.
  • Bake at 325 degrees or 1 hr. 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
  • Glaze with a mixture of 1 cup confectioners sugar and 2-3 tblsp. orange juice.

6 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmy!!!!!! Oh, this cake would be in great danger in my home. No . . . I would be in great danger (of eating 3/4 of the entire cake)! It's rough living with people who are not drawn to food.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes and can imagine that I'd love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pound cake is so being added as a link on my post tomorrow. Looks amazing & I too love everything sweet potato. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it best to use whole sweet potatoes or canned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever used the whole potatoes and cooked them myself, but I'm pretty sure the canned ones (drained) would work as well.

      Delete
    2. No, they want they will have absorbed quite a bit of liquid

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails