Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Shrimp Fried Rice with Asparagus


     Not a totally traditional shrimp fried rice...more of a shrimp fried rice stir fry born from a new goal of mine. I'm trying to use ingredients that I already have in my freezer in an attempt to get a little more control over my grocery spending. Freezer ingredients? 1 pound of raw easy peel shrimp and 1 quart size bag of frozen asparagus pieces. Everything else was in my cupboard or freezer, so I'm happy to say I didn't have to buy anything extra! 

     I usually put frozen peas in my stir fried rice, but with asparagus beginning to come in and several bags of asparagus I froze last season still in my freezer, I thought it would be a delicious (if not traditional) alternative. Use whatever vegetables you have handy. It's a good way to use up the bits and pieces of things you have in your vegetable bin.

Shrimp Fried Rice with Asparagus
Ingredients:
2-3 cups cooked brown rice 
1 Tblsp. peanut or olive oil
dash of sesame oil (optional)
1 lb. raw shrimp (I used frozen "easy peel.")
1 red pepper, diced
5- green onions, sliced (use part of the green along with the white part)
2 carrots, chopped (or a handful of shredded carrots)
1/2 lb. asparagus cut into pieces, (fresh or frozen)
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 Tablespoons Soy sauce
2 Tablespoons Oyster sauce (optional)
2 eggs, beaten

Directions:
  • If your shrimp is frozen, thaw under cold running water. Peel.
  • Heat the oils in a large nonstick skillet or wok. Stir fry shrimp until cooked through. Remove shrimp from pan and set aside.
  • Add carrots, garlic, red pepper and onions to the pan and stir fry until crisp-tender. (4-5 minutes) If you are using fresh asparagus, add it with the rest of the vegetables to stir fry.
  • Remove vegetables (or push them aside) and add the eggs to the center of the skillet. Cook eggs until set. Break into small pieces.
  • To the eggs add the rice, the vegetables (if you removed them), the soy sauce and the oyster sauce, and mix until the rice is hot.
  • Add the reserved shrimp (and semi-thawed asparagus pieces if you're using frozen)
  • Stir for a minute or so until everything is heated through.
  • Depending on your taste, you may want to add more soy sauce before serving.

2 comments:

  1. This looks so fresh and lovely. I really like this recipe. I found your blog by chance but I'll be back often to see what you've been working on in your kitchen. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is why I love the web. Wanted to make exactly this for lunch and these are great instructions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails