Sunday, June 13, 2010

Bacon, Linguine and Tomato Toss


Are you one of those people who can walk into a tomato patch, pick a red ripe tomato, and eat it right there with warm tomato juice dripping off your elbow? I have to confess I'm not one of those people. I do love tomato sauce and even salsa to some extent, but I really can't say I'm a tomato lover. I think I was traumatized by a tomato worm at a tender age. The only exception is in late June or early July when the tomatoes first start ripening. That's when I crave a tomato and bacon sandwich with mayo- on soft white bread no less.


But I digress. Last weekend I went to a Pampered Chef party where the consultant whipped up this pasta dish to showcase some of her products. It was delicious! Bacon and tomatoes in a creamy sauce- it was like a BLT,  only pasta style.  I think it might just tide me over until I have that sandwich.


Quick, easy and tasty, I think it's a great meal to serve after a harried day at work when you don't have much time or energy. I chose to use high fiber whole wheat pasta and low fat cream cheese when I made it for dinner tonight. Do you think that made up for the extra bacon I threw in?

Bacon, Linguine and Tomato Toss
adapted from Pampered Chef
Ingredients
6 slices of bacon (I have to confess I used more than this)
1 qt. chicken broth
3 cups (or 2 small cans) diced tomatoes
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
4 oz. cream cheese (low fat is fine)
12 oz. linguine (I used whole wheat)
1 oz. grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved (or another 1 cup diced tomatoes)
Directions
  • Dice bacon. Fry until crisp, remove from skillet and set aside. Pour all but about a tablespoon of bacon grease out of the skillet.
  • In the bacon grease left in the pan, cook the onion and garlic until onion is tender.
  • Add the 3 cups (or cans) of tomatoes and all of the broth to the onion mixture, and simmer until tomatoes are heated through.
  • Add the linguine, cover and simmer about 9-10 minutes.
  • Break or cut cream cheese into pieces. Stir into linguine-tomato mixture until melted.
  • Stir in the Parmesan cheese, reserved bacon and grape tomatoes.
  • Garnish with fresh basil if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails