When life gives you speckled bananas, there's nothing to do but make some bread. Specifically, some heart healthy banana bread. I haven't been at home very much these last several days and these babies definitely got a bit past the "flecked with brown and have a golden hue" stage. I was needing some comfort food last night, and banana bread fit the bill.
Why heart healthy? I'm blogging from the hospital ICU waiting room these days. I took hubby to the Emergency Room last week (right after the Hachis Parmentier, I might add) where it was determined that he was having a heart attack and would need major intervention. Monday morning he was in surgery having a very talented man- to whom I will forever be thankful- bypass
No butter or eggs in this banana bread, but still it was tender, moist and delicious. It was just sweet enough and full of chopped walnuts giving each bite a wonderful depth of flavor. I used this Cooking Light recipe containing ground flaxseed which adds heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. I think we'll be eating a lot more of those in the future. :)
Eileen's Best Banana Bread
adapted from Cooking Light (Eileen Solberg) October 2009
3/4 cup all purpose flour (fluff, scoop and level)
3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large)
1/2 cup plain fat free Greek (or regular) yogurt
3/4 cup sugar (I used a little bit less and it was plenty sweet)
1/4 cup light flavored olive oil (or canola)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325° F
- Coat a 5"x9" loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups. Level with a knife. In a large mixing bowl, combine flours with flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, combine mashed banana, yogurt, sugar, oil, walnuts and vanilla.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (Check after one hour.)
- Cool in pan on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and finish cooling on rack.