Are you picnicking this weekend? Do you need to bring a treat? I don't know about the temperature where you are, but here in VA it's hot, and heating up the kitchen doesn't thrill me. These strawberries, however, do. I posted them last year, but a treat as quick, easy and summery as this one deserves repeating.
I saw these red, white and blue beauties on Baking Bites a while back and immediately thought of all of the occasions they'd be perfect for. Memorial Day? Fourth of July? Any holiday that calls for a festive touch of red, white and blue would benefit from these luscious berries.
Make some to share while strawberries are still in season- I guarantee they'll be appreciated. I hope you all have a lovely weekend- have fun and keep safe!
Red, White and Blue Strawberries
recipe from Baking Bites
Strawberries- As many as you plan to dip
1 pkg.white chocolate chips or white dipping chocolate (bark)- found with baking supplies
Blue sanding sugar or sprinkles (The kind you decorate cookies with)
- Wash your strawberries and let them dry thoroughly. Pat dry if necessary. Set aside.
- Line a baking sheet or tray with wax paper or nonstick foil.
- Pour about half of the sanding sugar into a small bowl.
- In another small bowl, melt white chocolate according to directions on package. I usually melt it in small increments in the microwave on low power until about 80% of it is melted. I then stir it until it is completely melted. If it is too thick, add about 1/2 teaspoon shortening (like Crisco) and stir until melted and smooth.
- Holding a strawberry by the leaves on the stem end, dip into the white chocolate to cover about 2/3 of the berry. Let the excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. (If there's a "glob" of chocolate on the end of the berry, scrape it off onto the side of the bowl.)
- Dip the bottom third of the chocolate covered berry into the blue sanding sugar.
- Carefully place each berry onto the prepared tray or baking sheet to set. (They will set quicker in the refrigerator.) Refrigerate until time to serve. These are best served the same day they are prepared!