Sunday, October 21, 2012

"Wormy" Cider Spiced Apple Pie Bars


     Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, guess I'll go eat worms. Do you remember that song? It came to mind as I scattered the topping over these wormy apple pie bars. Well not real worms anyway. I have an aversion to the real ones. What you see here is just a batch of squiggly cinnamon sugar covered wrigglers decking out a tender apple filling with an apple cider spiced cookie crust underneath. Throw a couple of cute little gummy worms on top and you've got a spook-tacular Halloween treat that's just gruesome enough. (But not too gruesome.)

     I spiced mine up with some instant cider mix, but plain cinnamon and sugar would work just as well. I know some people have issues with the ready made refrigerated pie crusts, but they really work here. (And I have issues with making pie crust.) Make your own crust if you wish, but the rolled dough makes it really easy to produce many worms in short order. And those wormy things on top? They bake up nice and crispy and add a cinnamon-sugar crunch to each bite. And trust me, it's the only way I'll be eating worms. :)


Wormy Cider Spiced Apple Pie Bars (Printable recipe here)
adapted from this Betty Crocker Recipe

Ingredients:
Cookie Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 packet instant apple cider or 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
Filling
7-8 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1/2 cup light brown sugar (or to taste, depending on the sweetness of your apples)
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 packet instant apple cider (optional)
pinch of salt
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
Wormy Topping
1 box refrigerated rolled pie crusts (or your favorite homemade pie crust)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 packet instant apple cider

Instructions:
  • Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. (400 for dark or nonstick pan) 
  • Cream together 1/2 cup softened butter and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Stir in 1 1/4 cups flour and packet of cider mix or cinnamon until mixed. 
  • Press mixture into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 baking pan. 
  • Mix together all filling ingredients and pour into the crust. Bake for 10 minutes. While this bakes, prepare the wormy topping.
  • Mix together 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, cinnamon and apple cider mix. Cut one cold pie crust (still rolled) lengthwise in half, and then into thin (1/4 inch or less) slices. 
  • Separate the pieces and toss to coat in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Repeat with the remaining pie crust.
  • Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar coated "worms" over the partially baked filling and bake 18-22 minutes more until crust is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting into bars. For a spookier effect, try using colored sugar (red for earthworms?) for the topping.

20 comments:

  1. A very cute dessert idea (in a gross, Halloweeny kinda way:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How delightfully creepy (and tasty)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everyone would surely love this! Fabulous idea! And sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cute is this!!! Since I love pie crust--making and eating it--I say bring on the worms.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! Those look like a wonderful Fall dessert, thanks for sharing, I'm always on the look out for apple recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is adorable! I love this recipe and the wormy dough on top. Plus I love the idea that you used instant cider mix, how creative is that! I would have never thought to do that.

    I use the Pillsbury Pie Crust all the time. I think it tastes great. There are great recipes for homemade pie dough that are incredibly delicious but sometimes using the store bought saves a lot of time and tastes just as good.

    Fun recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the only worms I would ever consider eating! They do look quite splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How spooky! and delicious;-) I would like to try my hand at crafting a few worms out of pie dough;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a cute idea! I'm a bit pie crust impaired so I know the ready made is a great option for something like this. And I LOVE apple desserts...and this looks lip smackin' good!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute and creative! The song sounds cute too, it's new to me. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love your blog! I also love that we are neighbors. If you ever want to meet for coffee in or around Fredericksburg send me an email! I would love to meet another full time working grandma in the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this - what a great Halloween treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yes, I remember that song! :)
    Love your wormy apple treat. Fun to make and looks delicious tool

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the recipe...so yummy and perfect for Halloween just around the corner. (left reply for you on my blog)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your wormy apple treat! Perfect for Halloween party.

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is so clever! even without the creepy crawly effect, i'd be tempted to make these--they sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a clever way to make an apple dessert for Halloween! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These bars are so neat. I wish I had a Halloween party to go to, they would be a real hit.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You come up with some of the most clever names and recipe presentations! I'd love these no matter what time of year!

    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails