Sunday, November 6, 2016

Chocolate (or not) Sprinkle Cookies



     My daughters-in-law introduced me to these delightful little shortbread gems. They call them "Rusty Logs" and once you've made them it'll be easy to see how they got the name. These cookies might not win any beauty contests, but what they lack in showiness they make up for in flavor. Oats give them a nutty crunch that keeps little (and big) hands reaching into the cookie jar.


     I decided to take some license with the recipe and dressed some up in party clothes for Christmas. You could make these for any occasion just by changing up the sprinkles! The ones that work best (in my opinion) are the "ice cream" type softer sprinkles, but any kind would dress up the edges of this slice and bake type cookie.


     They're more widely known as "Chocolate Shot" cookies, but  I call those little bits sprinkles, not shot. Is it a regional thing do you suppose?  No matter what you call them, they're great, versatile little cookies that are as easy to make as they are to eat. Enjoy! :)

Betty

Chocolate Sprinkle Cookies (AKA Rusty Logs) Recipe
Printable recipe here

Ingredients
1 cup confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1 cup butter, softened but not melted (I use salted)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup rolled oats
chocolate "shot" or sprinkles (2 or 3 small (1.5 oz.) bottles or one large tub) You could also use multicolored sprinkles, or even colored sugar.

Instructions
  • Cream together butter and sugar
  • Add vanilla and mix well
  • Sift or whisk together flour, baking soda, and oats. Add to butter mixture and mix until combined.
  • Refrigerate about 1/2 hour, or until dough is firm enough to work with.
  • Divide dough in half and form into two rolls, each having a diameter of about 1 1/2 inches.
  • Pour chocolate sprinkles onto wax paper.
  • Roll formed dough "logs" in chocolate sprinkles until evenly coated.
  • Wrap rolls in wax paper or plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, or overnight.
  • Slice into cookies about 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick and arrange on parchment covered baking sheets.
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Bake cookies 18-25 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove to a rack to cool.
  • Yield: about 3 dozen

21 comments:

  1. Saved! Love the fancy ones with the colored sprinkles and my sons will love the oatmeal:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best cookie recipes, this one is a keeper. Printed for later, thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go, Betty! They look and sound delicious. This is a new one to me and I definitely want to try the recipe. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely! I am in the holiday spirit seeing this so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, 'tis the season to collect cookie recipes and these lovely oatmeal gems look wonderful. I love the festive sprinkles for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look very delicious and perfect for teatime!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think they look great and bet they taste terrific. I love the sprinkles on the sides - so festive! Hope you enjoyed your day off today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the name and i love their look! these would be a wonderful addition to a holiday cookie platter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Putting this one in my Pinterest Cookie Board, Betty! I love a good shortbread cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Betty,

    These cookies with rims of sprinkles are like cookies with bonuses!!! Yum yum!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never seen these before, Betty. They look great...cute name too. Going on my Christmas cookie list!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun cookie for kids! Sounds like something the whole family would love.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adore shortbread cookies and make them every holiday season, but these are new to me, can't wait to try 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the name of "rusty logs" and love the Christmas sprinkles on them! Making these rusty logs so festive and just in time!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely cookies! Looks very festive with the coloured sprinkles! Perfect for the coming festive season!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never heard of Chocolate Shot cookies but I know one thing... I want to eat them all!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We love shortbread! These look fun and festive with sprinkles and chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These cookies look great Betty, I love the idea of how you have all the chocolate or sprinkles on the side...they are perfect for the holidays. Thanks for the recipe!
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Merry Christmas Betty! Where's the snow?!?! Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I adore shortbread cookies with or without sprinkles and at ANY time of the year! Thanks for sharing your recipe, Betty! Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Betty. These look beautiful -- I was fixing some links on my website the other day (www.ingoodtaste.kitchen) and I came across some of your old comments. Happy to see your blog up and running and I'm looking forward to visiting again soon for new recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails