Sunday, November 8, 2009

Say Cheese!


Sunday was Homecoming at church. We traditionally have a covered dish lunch following the service, but I always have trouble deciding what to bring. When I saw this recipe in an old Southern Living magazine (that I just happened to pick up at the thrift store on Saturday) I knew I had to make it. I love to play with food. (Ask my sister if you don't believe me.)


Pumpkin Cheese Ball

(adapted from a recipe in the October 2002 issue of Southern Living magazine)
1 lb. shredded cheddar cheese
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese
1 (8 oz.) tub chive-and-onion cream cheese

2 teaspoons paprika

one half teaspoon ground cayenne pepper

1 broccoli stalk

2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

2 tblsp. mayonnaise -I used Baconnaise (Thanks, Rita!) to add a little smoky flavor
.
  • Combine all ingredients in a bowl until blended. Cover and chill until mixture is firm enough to be shaped.
  • Shape mixture into a ball to resemble a pumpkin. (I wrapped it in plastic wrap to make the initial shape.) Smooth entire outer surface with a non-serrated knife. Make vertical grooves using fingertips.
  • Cut broccoli stem and press into top of cheese ball.
  • Serve with crackers or apple slices.
This made a huge cheese ball. I think that if I make this again, I will half it and just use the tub of chive and onion cream cheese. I might also experiment with adding more paprika...I thought my pumpkin was a little pale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails