Surely a glass of milk and these chocolate chip cookies made the tough business of running a country a little bit easier! This chocolate chip cookie recipe is from Roland Mesnier, former White House Executive Pastry Chef- he baked for five different U.S. Presidents over the course of over 25 years. I found this recipe in my University's alumni magazine several years ago, and I pull it out from time to time when I want something a little different than my "go-to" recipe for chocolate chip cookies. The molasses in this cookie makes it wonderfully chewy and gives it a complex flavor. Enjoy this presidential perk without any of the strings attached!
Chocolate Chip Cookies
3 cups plus 3 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/4 cup molasses
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Mix together flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs, molasses and vanilla extract.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir just until incorporated.
- Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Chill dough for at least one hour. (Dough can be made the day before you want to bake.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (The high temp. browns the outside of the cookie while keeping the inside moist and gooey.)
- On a parchment covered baking sheet, drop dough by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart.
- Bake just until light golden, for 8-10 minutes. (Do not overbake! They will become over-brown on the outside and dry on the inside.)
- Cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes and transfer to a rack to cool completely. They will keep fresh in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
- Makes about 70 cookies*
- * Don't want that many cookies at one time? Dough balls can be individually frozen (before baking) and kept in a container in the freezer for baking at a later time. (Up to 1 month) When you want to bake the frozen cookies, let them stand at room temp. for 30 minutes and then bake as directed.