Monday, March 18, 2013

Easy Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake


     Okay Spring...any time now. Today we woke up to a dusting of snow that eventually changed over to a biting cold rain. Not the kind of weather that makes you think of daffodils and bunnies, is it? I was tempted to just pull the covers back up over my head and go back to sleep 'til I heard the birdies singing and felt some warm sunshine peeking through my window.

     I might have been tempted out of bed with this Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake, but unfortunately it was long gone. I made it a couple of weeks ago, and boy do I wish I had a slice now. The good thing about it is it's super quick and easy to put together, and it looks and tastes like you spent hours. Tart little bursts of cherry preserves in each bite of creamy almond filling will give you a sunny outlook even if the weather won't cooperate.

     The original recipe from Pillsbury used apricot preserves, which I'm sure would be equally delicious. I had cherry jam in my refrigerator love cherries with almond so that's what I went with. Why not make both and see which one you like best? 

Easy Cherry-Almond Coffee Cake
Very slightly adapted from this Pillsbury recipe
Ingredients:
Coffee Cake
1 pkg. (3 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup (4 oz.) almond paste, crumbled
1 can (8 oz.) refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1/3 cup cherry preserves
Topping
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons milk
1 Tablespoon sliced almonds

Directions
  • Heat oven to 375F. Grease cookie sheet or line with parchment. With a mixer on low speed, beat cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Beat in crumbled almond paste until well mixed.
  • Unroll dough onto cookie sheet or parchment. Press into a 13x7inch rectangle, pressing perforations to seal. 
  • Spoon the cream cheese mixture lengthwise down the center 1/3 of the rectangle. Evenly spread the preserves on top of the cream cheese mixture.
  • On each long side of the dough, make cuts 1 inch apart to the edge of the filling. Fold opposite strips of dough over the filling, and cross the strips in the center to resemble a braid. Seal ends.
  • Bake 18-22 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a cooling rack.
  • Mix powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle over cooled braid and sprinkle with almonds.
  • ***You can assemble this up to 2 hours ahead of time. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate. Uncover and bake as directed in the recipe.







21 comments:

  1. We are having a snow storm tomorrow. I wish I had the ingredients to make this quick easy coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Betty,
    Your coffee cakes looks so yummy! Either apricot or cherry, both sounds delicious to me.
    I hope Spring will be coming round soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fantastic, reminds me of a fabulous treat I grew up eating called "Kringle". You're not the only one wishing you had a piece of this ............ :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an easy pastry that looks much fussier to make! I'm ready for spring too:@)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bet this would be great sliced up and frozen so that you always have a slice ready-when it's hard to get out of bed! :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have brought back some nice memories, Rita. My mom used to make something similar that we all loved. this would be perfect for Sunday brunch when we spend a little extra time enjoying our breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks so dangerous...and easy to make. Perfect for a busy weekend of company. Hope spring comes soon for you.

    p.s. I like cherry better too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love making other treats with crescent dough! This looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm working from home today and I was fortunate enough to work nearby my window...as a winter wonderland hit us by surprise. As much as I can't wait for Spring to reach Montreal...I'll appreciate the last, fluffy snowflakes.
    As well, why not try making your wonderful dessert...great ingredients...looks delicious Betty ;o)

    Ciao for now,
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this looks amazing! I just love almonds - and this looks perfect. I wasn't into that snow either :( and now they're calling for more tonight and Monday. Where is our spring weather???

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd get out of bed on a cold morning for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Seems easy to make and looks delicious ! Hope the spring weather finds you soon.
    Mimi

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't want to sound like a broken record, but truthfully, "you had me at" CHERRY! What a delicious treat to enjoy! I'm crazy about cherries in pastry! Shared this for you on Google+ and pinned it too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a creative and delicious method using crescent dinner rolls to make coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this quick sweet breakfast treat-it looks like you spent hours slaving over a yeast dough to produce it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cherries and almonds is the perfect combination. Wish I had a slice to wake up to also.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Luce delicioso y hermoso quiero ir por un pedazo,abrazos y abrazos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love that this is made with crescent rolls! What a yummy timesaver! Beautiful coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Another great recipe your shared. Love this delicious coffee cake, and so easy to make with the crescent rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know that I've previously posted on this recipe, but I am anxiously awaiting a new recipe post from your awesome blog. Cherry preserves? Got some fantastic cherry preserves from Italy and this recipe will certainly help me bake with at least one or two of the 10 jars that I brought home with me. My husband will go 'gaga' over this pastry! Thank you Betty!
    Roz

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails