This cookie needs few words. Buttery tender almond shortbread that practically melts in your mouth. Bright sweet-tart raspberry jam filling the center, contributing a bit of contrast in taste and texture. These are first to disappear from the cookie tray. Most requested at my house. Needs few ingredients and easy to prepare. Make some for a friend. Make some for yourself. You'll both be happy. Need I say more?
Raspberry Almond Shortbread Thumbprints
Recipe from Land O Lakes
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
1 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tsp. water (more if needed to get desired consistency)
1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- Combine butter, sugar and 1/2 tsp. almond extract in mixer bowl. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add flour, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Cover, and refrigerate until firm- at least one hour. (Cookies will spread more if dough is not chilled.)
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls. Place 2 inches apart on parchment covered baking sheets.
- Make indentation in the center of each cookie with your thumb. (I used the handle of a wooden spoon.)
- Fill each indentation with 1/4 tsp. of jam.
- Bake 14-18 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Let stand 1 minute on cookie sheet and then transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Whisk together glaze ingredients until smooth. Drizzle over cooled cookies.