Neither judge a book by its cover, nor a cookie by its name! While the moniker "Glob" is not commonly associated with a cookie jar confection, this is a delicious exception to the rule.
Lots of chocolate, walnuts, pecans and peanut butter chips all held together by just a bit of flour, make a huge chunky brownie-like cookie that just begs for a nice tall glass of cold milk.
This recipe comes from Ina Garten's Barefoot Contessa Foolproof. No need to chill the dough, so you can have these ready on short notice, when you have a chocolate craving that just won't quit. Now how easy is that?
Chocolate Peanut Butter Globs
recipe from Barefoot Contessa Foolproof
6 Tblsp. unsalted butter (3/4 stick)
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided
2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
2 extra large eggs
1 Tblsp. instant espresso powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup + 1 Tblsp. all purpose flour (I have also used gluten free flour with good success.)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. Kosher salt
1 cup whole walnut halves (NOT chopped)
1 cup whole pecan halves (NOT chopped)
2/3 cup peanut butter chips
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- In the top part of a double boiler over hot water, melt the butter, the unsweetened chocolate, and 6 oz. of the chocolate chips. Stir until just melted. Remove from heat and let cool 15 minutes. You don't want it to cook your eggs!
- In a small bowl, stir together 1/3 cup flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, mix together walnuts, pecans, peanut butter chips, remainder of the chocolate chips and 1 Tblsp. flour. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer (paddle attachment), mix together the eggs, espresso powder and vanilla extract.
- Add sugar to egg mixture. Beat (medium-high) for two minutes until the batter is thick and falls back on itself in a ribbon.
- With mixer on low, add cooled, melted chocolate mixture to egg mixture until combined.
- Fold in the flour mixture with a spatula.
- Fold in nuts and chips.
- With two soup spoons (or a large cookie scoop) drop mixture onto parchment covered cookie sheets.
- Bake exactly 15 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet.
- Yield: 20-22 large cookies