Friday, January 2, 2015

Scandinavian Almond Bars


     You're not tired of cookies yet, are you? I hope not, because this is a great little recipe to tuck away in your bag of cookie tricks. It's a versatile treat, reminiscent of an almond pastry. It's equally as perfect with your coffee or tea in the morning as it is a pick-me-up in the afternoon.

     This beauty is elegant enough for special occasions, but simple enough to have on hand to fill your cookie jar. To me it's everything a grown-up sugar cookie should be- crunchy edges, a chewy middle and the delicate flavor of almonds and vanilla. (Is it just me, or does anyone else think of Jergens lotion whenever they open up the bottle of almond extract? Do they even make that anymore?)


     I came upon this recipe quite by accident when one of my students brought it to school for an  assignment where they had to bring an example of something from home that had different types of measurements. I've been making these cookies ever since...Who knew that homework could be so rewarding?

     To add to their appeal, they're delightfully easy to make and look like you've spent hours on them. They also freeze well in an airtight container with wax paper between layers. Double the recipe so you can always have them on hand for little cookie emergencies! (And please don't tell me you've never had one of those. :)

Happy New Year to everyone! 
May 2015 bring you joy and good health!

Scandinavian Almond Bars
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens Biggest Book of Cookies

Cookie Ingredients
1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter, softened (1 stick)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. almond extract
2 Tblsp. milk
1/2 cup sliced almonds (I used more than this, but I love almonds.)

Icing Ingredients
1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1/4 tsp. almond extract
enough milk (3-4 tsp.) to make drizzling consistency

Cookie Directions
  • In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt; set aside.
  • In mixing bowl, beat together softened butter and sugar.
  • Beat in egg and almond extract until combined.
  • Beat in flour mixture. This mixture will be crumbly but will get better as you work with it.
  • Divide dough into four equal portions. Shape each portion into a 12 inch long roll. Place two rolls 4 to 5 inches apart on a parchment (or silpat) covered cookie sheet. 
  • Flatten each roll until it is 3 inches wide. 
  • Brush flattened (3"x12") logs with milk; sprinkle with almonds.
  • Bake at 325F for 12-15 minutes or until edges are lightly (barely!) browned. (I baked mine for 13 minutes, but ovens vary.)
  • While still warm and soft on the cookie sheet, cut each cookie "slab" diagonally into 1-inch wide strips. Carefully transfer cookies to a wire rack and let cool. Drizzle with Almond Icing; let dry.
  • Almond Icing: Stir together 1 cup sifted powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. Almond extract and enough milk to make drizzling consistency.
  • Store in an airtight container. These cookies are even better after they sit overnight!

33 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I'm thinking they'd make an elegant Valentine's Day treat! Happy New Year:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cookies look delicious and I will add it to my cookie file. Yes, they do still make that Jergen's lotion. In fact, I bought some a few year's ago because it reminded me of my dear grandmother. Happy New Year!

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I didn't have to lose some holiday weight gain I'd make these today! I'm going to be saving this recipe to do a little homework of my own in the future :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look beautiful and somewhat resemble biscotti only they look softer. How would you compare them to biscotti? Nice recipe, I look forward to trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy 2015! These bars look great, perfect for breakfast or a afternoon snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember making these as a child, love them!! I need to try them again for my children, thank you for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can anyone get tired of cookies? Especially ones loaded with almond flavor? Love these and have already copied the recipe!
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm always looking for a new cookie recipe and this one looks delicious, Rita. All the slivered almonds really make it special. Best wishes for a healthy and very happy 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just made something with almonds this morning for breakfast. I know I would love this since I am a fan of all things almond. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are seriously gorgeous! Happy 2015! :)

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look delicious! And they're so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy New Year, Betty! These bars look both gorgeous and scumptious! I'd love to make a batch!!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love almond, too. Pinning these for future indulgence. Happy New Year, Betty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These almond bar cookies look delightful and tasty! I love a good almond cookie. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Betty, Happy New Year!
    These nutty bars look so inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These almond nutty bar looks delicious. Yummy yummy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Actually, I haven't tried those bars ... but that's something I'll have to change. They sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. We are having guests this week, they would love these, thanks Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I could NEVER tire of cookies! Especially not ones that are so perfect for coffee dunking. Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look amazing! Looks pretty addictive to me!
    Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. i don't necessarily always enjoy almond cookies, but these look like they have a good texture. plus, you know, there's glaze. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Betty! These bars look fabulous especially with almonds...I can see myself having this with a cup of coffee.
    Have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Betty,

    Happy 2015!!! I wish you and your family best of everything for this new year.

    These bars look gorgeous... Very relaxing to enjoy with afternoon teas :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  24. These sound so interesting Betty! I'm definitely not sick of cookies so I might give these a go :D

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love the sound of these, great to take to work for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness - these cookies are calling my name! That's a great story - you should try that assignment again and hint that making cookies was a perfectly acceptable homework project :) Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Mmm, if they have almonds you have gained my heart :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Betty, these really sound delicious. I'll have to give them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  29. These bars look amazing! I'm going to have to try this recipe out!
    Melanie @ meandmr.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am definitely pinning these! There was a cookie at my boyfriend's cafeteria in college that was like these and they were the most mouthwatering cookies! Shame on me, my mouth is watering right now! Can't wait to give them a try! I had tried to imitate them, but they were nothing like theirs!!
    I know - cafeteria? Right?? But it was something they did right!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy New year! These look awesome and delicious. I would have never guess that homework can be so fun and yummy. Can't wait to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Just looking at these is making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mmmm, I love almonds and these bars look like they would be perfect for dunking into tea!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails