Friday, January 23, 2015

Caramel Puff Corn



This stuff is seriously addictive, and you'll either love me or hate me for sharing the recipe. Many batches were made over the holidays, and they disappeared so quickly there was barely time to take a photo. It's sweet, salty, buttery, crunchy, ridiculously easy to whip up and even easier to eat. And eat. And eat.

Did you notice that there are no popcorn hulls? No hard kernels or bits to get stuck in your teeth either. That's because it starts with a bag of butter flavored Puffcorn,  a ready made snack food you can buy in the potato chip aisle. I used Chester's Puffcorn, but there are are other brands available that come in different sized bags. Thank you Vicki Bensinger, for introducing me to this irresistible confection!

The caramel corn may be good, but it doesn't hold a candle to this sweet little bundle! I braved the cold of Chicago last week to snuggle with my brand new granddaughter. Isn't she precious? I hope one day she'll love to bake with me as much as my sweet grandson does. I miss them both!



Caramel Puff Corn
Recipe from here, here, and here!

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutes!)
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup light Karo syrup
1 tsp. baking soda
approx. 8 oz. BUTTER flavored Puff Corn (I could only find Puff Corn in 3.5 oz. bags. I used two bags of Chester's Puff Corn. You could use three bags to get a bigger batch with a lighter caramel coating.)
***If you have a hard time finding Butter flavored Puff Corn, you can use the Snack Finder here to find Chester's Puff Corn in your area. 


Directions
Empty puff corn from bags into large buttered roasting pan. Set aside.
In a 2 qt. saucepan stir together butter, sugar and syrup.
Using medium heat, bring to boil. Boil 2 minutes stirring constantly.
Add baking soda. Mixture will bubble up. Stir and remove from heat.
Pour caramel mixture over puff corn in roaster. Stir until puff corn is coated.
Bake in 250F oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to distribute caramel evenly over puff corn.
Working quickly, turn out onto parchment and separate puffs while they cool. Store in an airtight container. Try not to eat it all before it gets into the container! :)


32 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and your family liked these. They really are addicting, aren't they? I'm sure I'll be making a couple batches to have around for SuperBowl. By the way your grand baby is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh, I've never heard of puff corn before, sounds good! Congrats on your new granddaughter, she's a sweetie:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sweet little sweetness was worth braving Chicago's chill (it is going to be much worse next week) to cuddle. Precious!
    I'll have to let you know how I feel about you after trying this corn--Super Bowl fare?

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look very tasty! Your grandson is so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Precious baby! You are blessed.
    I've never heard of puffed corn. First thought you were talking about cereal like Corn Pops. I have pinned this for the Super Bowl. Looks way dangerous so will want lots of people around to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The popcorn looks amazing, but can't quite compete with your beautiful granddaughter. She is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this stuff absolutely addictive! I would have to make it in small batches so that I don't eat it all at once :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. OK, I confess....I've never heard of puff corn!! Going to be looking in that aisle next trip to the store.
    My dad made caramel popcorn all the time...this brought back some great memories.
    What a sweet granddaughter. You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, how cute is she!! Congrats!! And ugh this snack..I would never stop eating it until the bowl was empty!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your new granddaughter is such a doll! What a cutie! : )
    I've never had this kind of puffed corn. I know I would love it, being a corn fanatic in many different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a doll!
    okay, i have no idea if i've ever come across puff corn, but i'm in hot pursuit now--this sounds amazing! and quite addictive.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! What a wonderful blessing and gorgeous granddaughter. Love the puff corn - I would seriously hurt myself on this stuff! Have a great week - bet you don't have school tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, your new granddaughter is precious!!! Congratulations! And this is one recipe that I'd find very dangerous to have in my house---so I'll just have to save it for a big gathering! It looks divine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks so addictive and delicious! What a great snack idea. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, my gosh, the corn is addictive I'm sure and I would eat it all. Glad you made it here to frigid Chicago to see that little bundle of joy. She is adorable and I can imagine how much you love to hold and cuddle her. Thanks for the great recipe to try when there's a crowd here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One of my friends made this recently and it was so good. So glad you shared the recipe! And your granddaughter is adorable! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your darling little granddaughter;)
    Your recipe sounds Devine for a group..I probably would need to share ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yum! This looks amazing!
    Also, your granddaughter is such a cutie :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. When I was young and thin and could anything I wanted and still stay thin, I would consume caramel corn . . . yours looks much better than what I had! But your granddaughter? Oh how precious Betty! You must be beaming with happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulation to your latest addition. Your little granddaughter is so sweet...

    Totally agree with you... Although these caramel puff are sweet and lovely, your granddaughter is the sweetest of all :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I can already tell how addictive this would be! I honestly don't think I've ever had puff corn but not having any hulls would be ideal! Sadly, Chester's is not available in the Milwaukee area. Next time I'm at the store I'll look for other brands.

    What an adorable baby! You must be thrilled and it just means more frequent trips to the Midwest :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your granddaughter is adorable, mine is now 1 year and 1 month old, these are the best times, love this caramel corn, your grand baby will love cooking with you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your granddaughter is adorable!
    The caramel puff corns looks so addictive! I know that it would not last long in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like delicious snacking!!!
    Your grandbaby is beautiful. Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  25. I know what snack I am making for my next movie night!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, how fun is this!? Looks super delicious and you're right, I'm sure it's crazy addictive! Your granddaughter is absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow, how fun is this!? Looks super delicious and you're right, I'm sure it's crazy addictive! Your granddaughter is absolutely precious!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations! She is completely adorable. The caramel corn puffs is such a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats you granddaughter is adorable :)
    And i am so glad I have found your blog, this puff corn has me smiling and mouth watering!

    Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

    ReplyDelete
  30. Só sute luking baby.btw this is maha..following ir wonderful space..
    I Don't mind to Enjoy this cute puff corn...yummy yummy ..
    Visit my blog sum time.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. i've never had puff corn before! Looks super tasty!
    And your granddaughter is so adorable! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails