Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Devilish Eggs


Around here, deviled eggs disappear just as quickly as they appear so I don't know why I don't make them more often. My happy hens are laying again, so there were some extra eggs in my refrigerator. I've never really used a recipe for deviled eggs before, but have used the "dump it in until it tastes right" method. This time when I made them I actually did my best to figure out what I put in them. :) In addition to the traditional ingredients, I always add sweet pickle juice. If you don't have sweet pickles, you could also use the juice from sweet pickle relish.  And cayenne? It doesn't make them hot, it just gives them a little personality. (I made a mistake one day and used cayenne on the tops instead of paprika, and have used it ever since!) Perfect for a simple lunch with a green salad.

Start with:
Perfectly Boiled Eggs
Bring eggs to room temperature. (I always boil more than I need and use the rest for egg salad.) In a large saucepan, bring water to a rapid boil. Add a dash of salt. Gently lower eggs in with a ladle. Boil, uncovered for 14 minutes. Immediately pour off boiling water and cover with cold water to halt the cooking process. Add cold water to the eggs as the water warms. As soon as the eggs are cool enough to handle, crack and peel.

Directions:
Slice 6 hard boiled eggs in half lengthwise. Put the yolks in a small bowl. Put the whites aside on a dish. With a fork, mash yolks until all lumps disappear. Add:
1 1/2 Tbsp.mayonnaise
2 tsp. yellow mustard
dash of cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. sweet pickle juice (the secret ingredient)
salt and pepper to taste

Mix together until blended. Spoon the mixture back into the shells or pipe it in using a star tip with a frosting bag.
Garnish with a sprinkle of paprika. (or more cayenne if you dare!)

1 comment:

  1. love eggs in all form! have you tried bakign eggs before? (:
    http://mummyicancook.blogspot.com/2011/03/baked-egg-in-jacket-sweet-potato-with.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails