Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Homemade Tortillas

Homemade tortillas?  Jenny suggested we make these, and while I'd never even thought of making my own tortillas before, it sounded like a good idea. And oh my goodness it was most definitely a good idea. These were soft and flavorful, with just the right amount of chewiness. We ate them with lentils, but they would be equally good wrapped around any kind of filling to make a sandwich wrap (or tacos, or enchiladas, or anything your heart desires). Made with ingredients you already have on hand, you can make these up as quick as a wink. Jenny found the recipe here at OmNomNomnivore.

South Texas Flour Tortillas
You will need:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. vegetable or olive oil
generous 3/4 cup hot milk

Directions:
  • Heat milk in the microwave for 60 seconds. Leave it there until you need it!
  • Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
  • Add the oil to the dry ingredients and mix together a bit.
  • Slowly mix the hot milk in until the dough ball comes away cleanly from the sides of the bowl. (You might need a little more or less milk than the recipe calls for, and you might need to adjust with additional flour.)
  • Mix the dough for 3-4 minutes and then turn out onto a floured surface and knead once or twice.
  •  Divide the dough into 12 equal balls. Make an indentation in each with your finger.

  • Roll each ball into a 6 inch circle (more or less...) and cook on a hot non-stick skillet or griddle. Each one will take about 30 seconds per side to cook, so you can put one on to cook while you're rolling out the next one. This is a good time to employ a willing helper if you have one. Or be the helper yourself if you have a daughter in law that can make these things with her eyes closed.
 
Enjoy them warm or cold. You'll never look at a perfectly round tortilla the same way again.

3 comments:

  1. Yummmmmmmmmmmm I'd say I'll take one BUT we BOTH know that won't happen!!! I guess it's another thing to add to my to do list!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok...so I was WRONG!!! Thanks for sharing!!! They were GREAT!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so delicious and healthy, too! Now I want to make them, but I need you to blog about a tasty, spicy filling for them next (or point me to a tried-and-true recipe)! Hugs to you, my college roomie. It was so fun seeing you today!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by scrambled hen fruit! I appreciate all of your comments and look forward to reading them.

Related Posts with Thumbnails